Architecture


Print This Page Print This Page

architecture

Photo caption:

Continuing to show modernism – St John’s Lutheran Church (1957-1958) .  John W. Steinmann’s design of St. John’s Lutheran Church is an institutional interpretation of  the Frank Lloyd Wright school of design and is mixed with mid-century modern style. Horizontal lines, clerestory windows, minimal obvious decoration. Note the small centrally positioned cross.

The following is excerpted from: Wisconsin Landmarks Newsletter, October 2007

 John Steinmann – Architect

John Steinmann (1914-87) designed St. John’s Lutheran church. He was the son of an architect and father of one. John Steinmann was born in Monticello and died in Madison. An architecture graduate of the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Steinmann designed the Karakahl inn in Mount Horeb, the Wisconsin pavillion for the New York world’s fair in the early 1960s–pavillion now rebuilt at the edge of Neillsville, high schools, other institutional buildings and houses, one of these being the Prudhon House (1967) at 245 Clifton Street in Evansville. Thanks to researcher Jamie Rowe, Poynette; WHS’s AHI.

WI state register.jpg web

Congratulations, St. John’s! Our facility is now officially on the Wisconsin State Register of Historic Places! See the certificate on display in the narthex gathering area). In addition, the State of Wisconsin has nominated St. John’s for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

Built in 1958 and designed by John W. Steinmann, our current building is noted for its significant architecture and its contribution to the modern movement (1958-1970). Steinmann’s work was deeply influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright. Buildings that belong to religious institutions are often not eligible for listing as a historic place. However, our facility is highly significant for its architectural and artistic distinction, serving as a “very fine example of the Wrightian style.” What’s more, all buildings on the Historic Register must be at least 50 years old. While our sanctuary was built in 1958, the addition was not completed until 1970. However, the state commission believes that “the 1970 addition actually represents the completion of the church,” and that the exterior and interior of the addition were completed in a way that the entire church building “still retains a very high degree of integrity.”

As for the work of John W. Steinmann, our church building “is one of the most outstanding of his known projects. The significance of the brick and wood-clad St. John’s Lutheran Church is considerably enhanced by a superb condition and by the high degree of integrity that is still present in the fabric of the church today.” For a complete description of our historic building, stop by the church office to see the complete registration. What a great honor for St. John’s. Be proud, St. John’s…even our building has integrity.